Tuesday 15 September 2009

New Magnetic loop "Baby Zilla"

I have now added a 6:1 slow motion drive and a motor to the magloop, also Gary 2E0TIG sent me a wire coupling loop that he has used with his loop. I got the SWR down to 1:1 on 14,18, 21 mhz but on 24 and 28 can’t get it below 2. So more experimenting to do yet. On 20 and 17m it is working great and I had a couple of QSO’s into Russia with it sat on the bench.



Gary 2E0TIG made me this fantastic 900mm loop from 75mm aluminium. He made a bigger one sometime ago which got nicknamed Loop Zilla, this one he has named Baby Zilla. It should perform great on 20-10mtr.
So watch this space as it takes shape, it will be used with a butterfly capacitor, also made by Gary, he sent me the parts which I assembled.well actually my granddaughter Charlotte put most of it together for me. That was the easy part, Thanks Gary.
Took "baby Zilla" to the club tonight and drilled the mounting holes for the variable cap, that will be fitted tomorrow and a photo posted to the blog. I have the motor also ready for mounting but first I will get the swr set correctly and then finally fit the motor.
The variable cap is now fitted and I made a makeshift coupling loop. It tunes nicely from 18 - 30 mhz just shy of 14mhz so I need to add more plates to the capacitor. I got an SWR of less than 1.3:1 across 18-30mhz. Tuned it up on 18.082.3 and sent CQ TEST a couple of time followed by de G4KKI K and was most surprized and pleased when Alex UU5JL came back to me. 579 both ways. Here are a couple more pics of it as is. Will be a better finished job when all sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment